Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Coffee in NY, Tea by the Bosphorus

Coffee is an important drink for Americans as it is tea for Turks... It is one of the signatures of New York, people with a cup of coffee and muffin bag in their hands in the morning... New York likes to have a breakfast on the way of work... Every corner has a coffee house or a 'deli' (delicatessen) to stop by and get those vital substances... Starbucks is the most common and well-known one...

It is unforgettable drinking a glass of tea by the Bosphorus... Having a traditional morning tea with cheese, olive, 'simit' or afternoon tea with sandwiches, scones, cream and sweets that makes you feel like royalty... Enjoying a relaxing tea with a view of the Bosphorus Sea in Istanbul: priceless... At least for most of us... I've heard Starbucks is conquering Istanbul, too; converting young generation from tea to coffee... I wonder if we are going to see the same scenes in the street of Istanbul in several years as in New York now... May it be the Starbucks that force to surrender Turkish tea reign and leave its place to coffee?.. It may or not... However, I don't think it can dare to wrestle with Turkish coffee, though...

"I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear
I like my toast done on one side
And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
I'm a Turkish girl in New York"
- Englishman In New York by Sting

No comments: