Friday, January 26, 2007

Nezih Demirkent - My Idol

Dearest Nezih Demirkent was my first boss... My idol, every journalist's idol, every businessman's idol... He is one phenomenon... He was a respected human being, journalist, and businessman... He could open every door... His door was open to anyone... His articles and books considered reference... His ethics was the defition of it... He was a pioneer in every aspects of business world and media... He had numerous prizes form various institutions... His approach to business was based on prestige, yet was very successful... He protected honest journalists from being jobless and their rights... He supported every action on freedom for media in Turkey...

Mr. Demirkent gave an opportunity to show my abilities and what can be done in digital world with our newspapers products... He provided me with necessary conditions as possible and let me do my job... When I heard that he mentoined my name and my works at a very important meeting, to very important people and my supervisor who delivered me this anecdote, that "even though he is not familiar with the Internet and its capabilities, he believed in me, appreciated my efforts and its results" I was the happiest person in the world...

He was like a father to me as he was to many... When I had problems in my personal life, he supported me and gave me advice... When he heard that I am planning to leave my job and improve my English and get my master's degree outside of Turkey, he offered me a scholarship and wanted me to work with him after my education is completed... I couldn't be honored more...

When I was informed that he passed away, I simply was in shock... I couldn't believe it... I was crying for weeks... I am not good with dates, I cannot even remember my husbands birthday or our wedding anniversary... But, I have never forgotten the day he left us... 11 February 2001... He was just 71... His funeral was the most crowded one I've ever seen...

Thanks to him I am who I am, I am where I am...
God bless him.

No comments: