Sunday, March 18, 2007

Perry Mason

I finished a Perry Mason story in one night... The other night, I couldn't sleep and took an old book from the bookshelf... Demure Defendant by Erle Stanley Gardner... If you know Gardner you know that I didn't put the book down until I read the last sentence... There is always action, there is always tension, there is always something to keep your mind busy, there is always something to be curious about... From the first page through the end, it never slows down... It is just clever...

I don't understand why some books are having such problem to get to the point... Those authors are bitting around the bushes a lot... I am a book worm - well, I was- until recently... I am trying to read a book for a month now and I am not sure if I can make it to the end... There are three books on my nightstand that are waiting for me to finish... One of those is sitting there for almost four months... I am trying, I am... However, I don't think I am going to make it... I know that if a book couldn't have my attention in first 10-20 pages, then I am lost... It is the same thing for a movie, too...

I really admire my friends who can insist on a bad movie or a book through the end... I tried... I tried... I am not a quitter... But sorry, I don't have time to spend on something that I am not going to enjoy or learn from... Hey, at least I tried... It just meant not to be, I guess...

No comments: